If anyone is still following our blog ... my apologies for the delay in posting about Amelia's birth. Life has been pretty crazy, trying to adjust from one child to two - and every time I sat down to update here, one or the other of my children has required immediate attention!!
Amelia Evelyn Davis was born at 12:56pm on March 11, 2009. She entered the world weighing in at 8 lbs, 5.8 oz -far away from the 9 lbs, 4 oz I was predicting! She was 20" tall, and came out screaming. She was healthy & pink from the start - and aside from some alarming weight loss, she has stayed healthy since birth.
We almost didn't get to leave the hospital on the 14th, due to her weight loss issues. She lost a pound, or 12% of her birth weight, which is in the "danger zone" according to her Dr. and the nurses. Luckily, Amelia's dr. took pity on us and sent us home with several weight check appointments scheduled - the first one on Sunday. She had gained a bit of weight on Sunday - but not a lot. Luckily, any increase was good enough to keep us out of the hospital. The lactation consultants were pleased, and were very helpful in getting us on track with weight gain. By the time she was 10 days old, Amelia had regained all her birth weight, and then some. By my estimation, she has kept gaining since then too. She's actually getting a little chunky ;)
Wyatt is adjusting as well as can be expected ... the first couple of days home were rough on him, not having my undivided attention, and not understanding why Mommy couldn't play the way he wanted me to. He got better ... and then John went to work this Monday, and Wyatt reverted to being a naughty little "turd" to say the least. He seems to be very sly, however, and chooses to be naughty when I am feeding Amelia. He doesn't want much to do with her, but does express concern when she is crying or unhappy. He watches diaper changes very closely - almost as if he is making sure I don't screw it up!!
I forgot how little sleep I would get with a newborn ... and how long it takes them to get into any sort of pattern. Amelia did well for awhile - she would sleep for 4-5 hrs at night, which was really nice. The past few days, however, she's decided to reverse that and sleep during the day and stay up all night. Unfortunately, I can't sleep during the day, b/c Wyatt is awake ... so this has resulted in far less sleep for mommy. I'm getting a little crabby, so hopefully this weekend, Daddy can take pity on me and take an overnight shift with the baby (since he has the ability to nap, which I seem to lack ...). I know I will look back on this time and probably miss it ... but right now, it's tougher than I thought it would be :).
John attracted a cold that seems to not want to leave him alone. And unfortunately, he gave it to Wyatt. And now me. Blech! I wouldn't mind, if I had the chance to sleep/rest and fight it off. But I think it's going to get worse before it gets better. According to John, who is apparently the world's sickest person right now, it will get "a lot worse." Oh joy! Just in time for my birthday!
That's about all I have for now. I will post some pictures soon. Hope everyone is doing well!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Look what I stumbled upon again?!?
ReplyDelete